My baking methods and menus are mostly American. This sometimes causes problems, and sometimes pleasant surprises, for G. He’s not too traditional, which means he’ll try at least anything but still won’t accept the fact that Koreans eat cold noodles, namely “naengmyeon,” or buckwheat noodles. “Noodles should always be warm. No exceptions.”
Desserts are one of the tough points when it comes to bridging the gap, at least for me. Italian desserts tend to take a lot of time with more ingredients and steps. It can get a bit overwhelming if you are just not used to such steps and ingredients but I at least try sometime. But then there comes a time when there’s nothing that can replace a certain time or place. Like chocolate chip cookies before a three-hour car ride for a weekend trip with friends. Tiramisu or Panna Cotta will just not do. It has to be chocolate chip cookies.
촉촉한 초코칩 쿠키가 먹고 싶었지만 너무 초코렛으로 범벅이 되지 않고, 적당히 쫄깃하고 겉은 적당히 바삭하면서 얇고 너무 크지 않은 쿠키를 찾다보니 결국 그냥 만드는 쪽이 쉽겠다 싶었다. 그래서 두어번 만들어 본 레시피로 고고.
I’ve tried a couple recipes, but it’s hard to find the perfect one that you like. I made up my mind with this one from Canal House, which I found via Alexandra Cooks.
The trick to a softer, chewier middle is to pull out the cookies when they still look a bit uncooked. Don’t hesitate.
- Butter: 283 grams
- Granulated sugar: ¾ cup or 149 grams or 12 tablespoons
- Dark brown sugar: 1¼ cup or 298 grams or 20 tablespoons
- Vanilla extract: 1 tablespoon
- Salt: 2 teaspoon
- Eggs: 2
- All purpose flour: 1¾ cups plus 2 table spoons or 1 cup plus 14 tablespoons
- Baking soda: 1 teaspoon
- Chocolate chips: 1½ cup or 180 grams
- Preheat oven to 190 C.
- Combine the butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, vanilla extract and salt on medium speed until mixed.
- Add in the eggs and mix.
- Mix the baking soda into the flour and add to the dough and mix.
- Add in the chocolate chips and stir through.
- Make little balls with your spoon and place them on the baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Don't put them too close to one another, as they will expand and just become a huge lump of cookie if you do. Not that that's wrong, but it won't be pretty to look at.
- Bake for about 10 minutes but check them until you have the right color and texture.
- 오븐은 190도로.
- 버터 + 흑설탕 + 설탕 + 바닐라 엑스트랙트 + 소금을 섞어주고
- 달걀 넣어주고 섞어주고
- 베이킹 소다를 섞어준 밀가루를 넣어준 후 섞고
- 초코렛 칩을 넣어주고 살살 섞어주고
- 숟가락이나 손으로 작은 동그랑땡 모양으로 만들어준 후 시트에 올려준다. 개인적으로 크기는 작을수록 모양이 동그랗게 나와 너무 크게 만들지 않도록 주의.
- 시트에 적당히 떨어져 있도록 놔주고 10분 정도 구워준다. 7-8분 정도에 색과 익힘 정도를 확인해주는 것도 좋은 방법. 총 10-11분을 구워주면 너무 딱딱해질 수 있어 적당히 부드러워보일때 꺼내준다.
All photos by rachelsanghee