I have to say I was worried sick about traveling, especially via plane. The packing took forever, because how are you supposed to pack for a three-month-old? I saw videos on YouTube about traveling with a baby, read blogposts related to the subject and made a list of the things I need to either buy before the trip or make sure I shove it into the luggage before it’s too late. And again, the more you pack, the better.
이탈리아 도착. 3개월인 아기를 데리고 비행을 한다고 했더니 한국 친구들이나 가족들은 미쳤…하지만 유럽에서는 어리면 어릴수록 좋으니 얼마든지 다니라는 반응들. 이탈리아로 1차 여름 휴가를 왔는데 걱정했던 것보다 수월해서 다행! 비행기 타는 것은 둘째치고 짐 싸는 것부터가 걱정이었는데 정답은 가능하면 무조건 다 가져가기. 이탈리아에서 살 수도 있는 기저귀 등도 있었지만 일단은 우리는 기저귀까지 챙겨갔다.
여름이니 가볍고 얇은 우주복 위주 (선물받은 우주복도 챙기고 H&M키즈와 유니클로!)로 챙겼는데 혹시 몰라서 얇은 스웨터, 돌아오면 추울 독일을 생각해서 가디건도 두어개 챙기고, 로션, 파우더 (개인적으로 독일 Weleda제품을 선호!), 체온계, 매일 먹어야하는 비타민 D약, 혹시나 열이 오르면 먹을 비상약, 손톱깎는 가위, 긴 바지, 저녁이나 나들이하기 좋은 치마 등등. 독일 집에서 쓰는 생활용품들은 거의 다 챙겨온 느낌. 헥헥.
The list was fairly simple but we were staying for about two weeks, so we needed enough clothes for all three of us, bought some presents for the family because that’s just what we do whenever we travel home to Italy and because A was so young, we needed to bring the baby stroller, which is quite big and heavy. The bottom line is that we made it safe and sound, but writing this in Italy right now, I’m already worried about heading back home.
Southern Italy is pretty hot and humid, so I packed a lot of light cotton onesies because it’s cooling, easy to wear and take off and light to pack. I also packed two cardigans for the plane and also for heading back to Germany, some summer dresses for special outings or dinner, a couple of long sleeves and pants and a sweater just in case. I also packed light sheets and blankets, her little pillow, two summer hats and socks. It turned out the onesies was a great idea because they’re just so simple and basic. My favorites are the ones from H&M kids and UNIQLO. Some other important things to remember are daily vitamins (in Germany’s case, vitamin D pills), baby scissors to cut her nails every day, a baby thermometer, medicine from the hospital just in case she gets a fever and lotions.
Like I said, I was super nervous about the flying but she managed to just sleep through the entire flight. Some pointers to remember though:
- Always pack some milk in case she gets fussy and also to relieve the pain she/he may get from take off and/or landing. (Our doctor said not to change the formula and so we brought some Aptamil and also bought some in Italy.)
- Liquids for the baby including milk and water are scanned through separately and also any type of stroller.
- The baby must face forward during take off and landing.
- Airlines give you a baby seatbelt that you can attach to your own belt.
- I sat near the window and it was fine because she slept through and also because the flight was only one hour and a half, but I think it would be easier to sit on the aisle seat for easy access to the changing table or the restroom. It can also get a bit awkward to wiggle out of your window seat if there are other passengers next to you.
- Breathe and relax.
유럽에서 비행하기전 알아두면 좋을 팁들 몇가지:
- 이륙과 착륙시에 귀가 아플수도 있고 환경이 바뀌어서 울수도 있으니 젖병, 공갈 젖꼭지 등을 챙길 것. 여행오기전에 A의 의사를 만나서 이것저것 물어봤는데 가장 중요한건 이 나이때는 우유를 바꾸면 안된다는 것이었다. 다행히 우리는 독일에서도 팔고 이탈리아에서도 파는 압타밀을 먹고 있어서 조금 챙겨가고 이탈리아에서도 같은 분유를 사먹고 있음.
- 아기를 위한 물이나 분유, 유모차 등은 공항 검색을 따로 진행. 검색대앞에 서면 바로 안내를 받게 된다.
- 비행기에 앉으면 이륙과 착륙시에는 아기도 앞을 보고 있어야한다고.
- 아기를 위한 안전띠를 따로 주는데 엄마나 아빠가 매고 있는 안전띠에 연결하면 된다.
- 이탈리아에 올때는 창가쪽에 앉았는데 비행 시간이 짧아서 아무 문제가 없었지만 조금 더 긴 비행이라면 맨 앞, 혹은 바깥쪽 좌석이 편할 듯. 오고가기도 편하고 화장실 가기도 편하고.
- 가장 중요한 것: 긴장을 좀 풀고 여유롭게 여행하시길!
The crib was G’s and it was quite a sweet moment to see her sleep in it. I think G’s mother got very emotional. While my mother was there for the birth and the first two months, it was G’s mother’s first time to see little A and it was a wonderful moment to be in, her meeting her little granddaughter.
G의 아기 침대가 아직도 있었다. 나보다도 나이가 많을 이 침대에서 지금까지는 잘 자고 있는 A양.
It’s hot, humid, but we’re having a lot of gelato and pasta, so life is pretty good right now.
이탈리아에서 3개월도 맞이하고 곧 100일도 맞이할 A양. 일단 3개월 축하행!
- Happy three months old!
- Started looking at her LEFT hand. More to push into her mouth!
- We stayed out late one day and she lost track of her bedtime. Instead of being fussy and clingy, she got super excited, cooing and cawing, laughing and smiling. G said “what did you put in her milk? Redbull?” Sorry, nope. That’s all her.
- Doesn’t cry much now, more shrieks of laughter or short squeaks, hinting that she’s hungry or needs a diaper change. Falls asleep quite well in my arms, which is a relief.
- Loves people. She just lightens up whenever someone looks at her.
- Schedule is pretty simple: milk, 20-40 minutes of playing and then yawning, which leads to an hour or an hour and half nap.
- She never seemed to realize what her hands were for, but now she’s gotten into the habit of sucking her thumbs. Not sure how I feel about this. Is giving her a pacifier better than letting her suck her thumbs? But then I feel like she doesn’t know how to use the pacifier. She sucks a bit but then just spits it out after 10 seconds.
- Note to self: Cut Nails Every Day.
All photos by rachelsanghee. Bits and pieces of my little one, every week, in 2016. 12, 13/52 weeks.